Wednesday, August 6, 2008

16 week appointment

I am a little disappointed in my appointment yesterday afternoon! I should be ashamed of myself...the babies are great & I am feeling great, but I am still a little down. First of all, we met with the dr. and all is well there. We heard the heartbeats...one was 140 & one was 160! I think I could hear the heartbeats a million times & still get a huge grin on my face every time. I then had blood drawn for the Down Syndrome testing & then we were off to peek at the babies! I was so excited! First & foremost, I wanted to make sure the babies were still looking good, but I also wanted to find out the sex of our babies. I hear of all these girls that are at the same stage in their pregnancy or a little behind finding out & me being the impatient person that I am...wanted to know too!!! I am so ready to purchase cribs and bedding and clothes! I haven't bought one thing yet just because I don't want to be taking stuff back to the store & my guess at what we are having changes daily!!! But I guess my thought on peeking at the babies & the ultrasound techs thought of peeking at the babies were two different things. She made sure they were moving okay & the fluid levels were okay & then started wiping all the jelly off my big belly! I asked if we could just 'try' to see the sexes & she wouldn't even attempt. She said all babies look like boys at this point. I was so upset...I got my hopes up for nothing!! Then on top of that, I find out that we have to wait 5 more weeks for our next ultrasound! 5 MORE WEEKS!!!! That is going to feel like eternity! I am sorry for all this ranting & please don't get me wrong. I thank God everyday for these babies & for an easy pregnancy so far! I am such a planner & I just want to start decorating a nursery for these sweet babies!

Here are some pictures we got today:

Both babies side by side

Baby A-looking straight at us with head on left w/left arm in air


Baby B-profile

11 comments:

The Campbells said...

Don't worry, girl. I'm sorry that they wouldn't even guess, but that is not uncommon. Techs aren't supposed to tell you anything, as it is a liability for them to do so. Sometimes you get lucky and get a nice tech or doc that will attempt a guess at a sex. I'm glad that the overall appt went well for you and the babies are looking good! I know it's not much consolation, but most women only get 2 u/s the whole pregnancy, so excited that you get to have another one!! Stay positive, you have SO much time to get their rooms together. Take this time to rest up. The best thing to pass the time is doing research on strollers and other baby gear. I started a registry at 8 weeks just so I could keep track of stuff that I may or may not want and to also help me do research on the best products. Maybe that might bide your time till you can see your little peanuts again?

I hope you feel better soon!!

Unknown said...

The babies look great! It's so exciting to see them! I'm also a planner, so I know that waiting is the hardest part. I'm dying to decorate a nursery too. You definitely need things to occupy your time. Maybe you could start putting decorating ideas together for boys, girls or boy/girl? Then you would be all ready to go get everything once you find out! Now where are these belly pics you promised?

Our Blessed Family said...

I am sorry Mary Kate! I will say I am disappointed too cause I wanted to know! I am glad everything else went well though! You are blessed to have two healthy babies in there!

Hillary said...

Don't worry about being "let down" or for ranting. I think you have every right to see those precious babies anytime you want. You have waited so long for this, I can only imagine how waiting seems like torture. I love the pics of them side by side!!

Our Blessed Family said...

Just because I know you love Creme Brulee I wanted to see if you had seen Ben and Jerry's Creme Brulee ice cream! I got some tonight and it is pretty good!!!

Anonymous said...

i have a personal question.
we jsut found out we are expecting twins. i have been on prometrium 3 times a day until the bloodwork when they dropped me down to 2 a day. i had a 6 week ultrasound and he said i could go to one a day. i'm a nervous wreck! i feel so dependent on it. but he said it was fine. just curious what your doctor had you do. thanks :)!!

Jenna said...

Oh Mary Kate, I know exactly how you feel! I just had to know what we were having too! It is the most fabulous feeling to find out "who" is in there. Especially with two. Twice the planning. Twice the preperation, etc. 5 weeks does seem like an eternity. Hang in there. I love your belly pic. You carry twins well! Me...not so much. I am only 5 five foot tall and already looked like a rolly polly at sixteen weeks!

The Couch Family said...

MARY KATE,
I CANT IMAGINE HOW DISAPPOINTED YOU MUST BE!!! I REMEMBER COUNTING THE DAYS TO FIND OUT IF MADISON WAS A BOY OR A GIRL. I KNOW IT IS HARD TO DO BUT CHERISH THE TIME THAT THEY ARE A SUPRISE. THERE ARE SO FEW THINGS IN LIFE THAT ARE SUPRISES. THERE IS A CERTAIN FEELING OF EXCITEMENT NOT KNOWING WHAT/WHO IS IN THERE. NOT SAYING THAT I DONT WANNA KNOW IF THEY ARE BOYS/GIRLS, CAUSE I DO!!! JUST LOOKING BACK, I WISH I WOULD HAVE CHERISHED THAT TIME MORE AND NOT RUSHED IT. I CANT BELIEVE YOU HAVE NOT BOUGHT ANYTHING YET!!!! YOUR BETTER THAN I AM BECAUSE I HAD PINK EVERYTHING BEFORE I EVEN GOT PREGNANT. FORTUNATELY I HAD A GIRL! I AM SO GLAD THAT YOUR PREGNANCY IS GOING WELL AND YOU ARE STILL IN MY PRAYERS! TAKE CARE!!!!!!

Adrienne said...

Mary Kate,
Yea! I am so glad you are going there for an ultrasound! They are so sweet. They will give you a good look I think. They took so much time with me they will probably take more with you! I cannot wait to hear the results!

Anonymous said...

Have you ever thought of having a "fun" ultrasound done at an ultrasound center? I've paid to have ultrasounds done with my 2 and its SO fun because they will do it from 15 weeks on for gender determination! If I were you I would check online to see if there is a facility close to you that will do it! :) Congrats on the twins!

Unknown said...

Your belly pic is too cute! So have you thought of things to keep you occupied for 5 weeks?? Hey I have a question, did you have cramping after your transfer? I've been cramping everyday since Tuesday. The nurse said it was normal, but I like to hear from people that have actually been through it!