Friday, December 26, 2008

RSV/Flu Season

RSV/flu season is here (October - March).We know that everyone is excited to see the babies, and we are excited to show them off. We have been advised by the hospital staff to limit visitors & limit being in public during this time. Also that the babies should not be around ANY children until RSV season is over (March). Since the babies are preemies they can get RSV a lot easier and a lot worse than a full term baby (see link below for RSV info). The babies can also get RSV through adults with cold or flu like symptoms. We appreciate your patience, we can't wait for everyone to meet our sweet babies. If you are an adult that comes over to see the babies, handwashing is going to be a MAJOR thing in our house. We ask that you wash your hands before touching the babies and in between switching babies.
We tried and prayed so hard to bring the babies into this world healthy, we want to do everything we can to keep them that way. I know that some people are aware of RSV, but most aren't aware of how serious it can be for preemies. Thank you for understanding!!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh I remember being such a maniac when it came to handwashing when my son was first born and he wasn't even a preemie. I am sure all of your friends and family will understand. You indeed did work awfully hard and prayed alot for those sweet babies and you definitely can't take any chances!

Hope you had a WONDERFUL 1st Christmas with those beautiful miracles!

Our Blessed Family said...

Jade had it when she was 6 months old and was in the hospital for a week. I remember how scary it was! I do not blame you for doing this!!!

the alder boys said...

Good for u Mary Kate! I tried to do something similar. Unfortunately they both got it later & it was horrible! I think my older son brought it home though. Don't feel bad & stick to your guns. Everyone understands

Samantha said...

7 weeks...that was when Braden contracted RSV. I'll never forget the pediatrician making the phone call for the helicopter to take him to ACH in Little Rock. That was a close one, and I applaud you for your dilligence!